Tuesday, July 19, 2011

24, We're going to be friends

So I had the most amazing birthday weekend EVER!  I worked the whole day but got to get off work by 4.  Brett was already in town and I came home to beautiful flowers and such a sweet card.  He said he was going to take me out somewhere really nice for dinner Friday night, my actual birthday.  I had asked him all week where he was going to take me for dinner but he refused to tell me.  He then proceeded to tell me that our reservation was for 8 pm (just to let you know, that is super late for me since I'm on old person scheduling and eat dinner at 6).

If you know me, you know that I start stressing if I don't know where I'm going or if we're running late.  Well both were the case Friday night.  We parked in a parking deck in Raleigh at 8, which meant we were late.  Brett told me that we didn't really have reservations after I said we were late, which made me question why we went to dinner so late to begin with.  As soon as we walked into The Oxford, an English pub, he told me to just walk right and kept pushing me that way.  I was trying to walk up to the hostess to tell them two but he didn't let me.

At this point, I'm starting to think something is up.  I looked toward the right and saw Paige's face (friend from small group) through a whole in the partition.  I walked up the steps and saw a long table full of all my favorite people!!  Two of my best friends, Jessica and Michelle, planned the whole surprise celebration.  It was the first surprise "celebration" I've ever had (Brett says I can't call it a party).  Friends from college and small group were all there.  We ate, talked, laughed, some danced, and just had the best time.  I'm actually stunned no one spoiled the surprise because of everyone who was there, and Brett doesn't keep secrets from me very well.  Here are a few pictures from that night.

The two people in charge of the whole thing

Love my small group
So glad he could share in my special day. He's the best.
Yep, we like each other
So we got home close to midnight on Saturday morning, and I had to get up before 7 because my small group signed up to do serveRDU at Apex Middle School.  ServeRDU is one week that my church, Summit, devotes specifically to showing God's love by serving the community around us.  It's supposed to be a catalyst to getting involved in our community.  We spent around 4 hours cleaning up the grounds at the middle school.  We laid brick, pulled out weeds, and planted more shrubs and flowers.  

Some of our group at Apex Middle School
After I got home, Brett took me to the mall (definitely a good birthday present since I know he hates going to the mall).  He bought me a pair of Rainbows.  I bought a pair of nude-colored pumps (be proud Paige and Natasha!) and cowboy boots.  We were in and out in a hour!  Now that is efficient.  Brett and I met up with Kyle, Amy and Michelle for dinner at Carolina Ale House. 

We matched again!
The ladies of the group
Sunday, we got up early to go to church.  After church, we went over to my parents' house for some steak my dad grilled. It was fantastic!  I opened presents, took a bunch of pictures, and watched the women's world cup.  So that's a recap of my birthday weekend.  Sorry it's a little long.  Hope you enjoyed a little peak into my life.

I think this is a great picture
He actually smiled :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun!! Brett sure knows how to treat his lady on her birthday ;) ps. I love that skirt you are wearing...you got it from the Loft didn't you?? I tried it on at the one here in Greenville, but they didn't have my size :( sad times! it is slowly becoming my new favorite store.... Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (this is becca hartman by the way :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep Brett does know how to treat me. I feel blessed. And yes the skirt is from the Loft. I love that store! By far my favorite store to shop at. Makes me feel more sophisticated :) Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun fun! i'm glad you had such a good bday celebration :) and it's neat to see your small group relationships!

    ReplyDelete