Getting to Billings was no fun at all. We were supposed to fly to Billings via Denver. I checked the night before our flight, and the airline said Denver was under a travel advisory. Thinking everything was going to be fine, I didn't bother changing our flight. I woke up the next morning, and the early flights were cancelled but our flight was still on time.
We drove about 1.5 hours from Greer to the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport. When we exited off the highway, I received a call saying our flights were cancelled! Oh my goodness. I was a wreck. Brett was trying to figure out how he would be able to see the Duke Caroline game and dealing with me freaking out.
I called the airlines, and they said the soonest they could get us out to Billings was the next morning, but we had plans to go skiing Sunday morning. We decided to go ahead to the ticket desk. They put us on a flight from Charlotte to Atlanta to Minneapolis. We were told that the flight into Billings that night was completely booked but that we could check once we got to Minneapolis to see if there were any seats available by the evening.
When we got to Atlanta, I decided I would check just in case to see if there were any seats. The lady at the ticket counter said there were two seats next to each other!! I was so giddy that we would be able to get to Billings that night. Even though it was a 17 hour travel day, we would be able to go skiing the next day.
| Baggage claim in the Billings Airport. Quite fitting. |
After our eventful travel day, we got up early Sunday morning to head to Red Lodge Mountain Resort for some day skiing. Chris' friend Tim joined us on this adventure. Tim is a trip. I'm so glad he could join us. It was nice to meet the subject of one of my brother's bromances. Seriously, they act so much alike and have a pretty similar sense of humor.
It was a blistering 30 degrees and was supposed to get in the mid 40s (I was sweating while walking to the lodge from the parking lot). We were trying to make it to the morning ski lessons since I have never been skiing, but missed it by about 5 minutes. The fellas tried to teach me the basics. We went up to one of the green trails, called Miami Beach, about 30 minutes after I had put on skis for the first time. Needless to say, I took about an hour to get down the trail.
So...I decided to go to the afternoon lessons. I was one of two first-time skiers; the other girl was in middle school. As I'm taking the lessons, I see three year olds who are skiing and snowboarding (with the guidance of parents)! I was feeling a little self-conscious, but I'm so glad I did it. I did one more pass down Miami Beach, got pretty frustrated (my husband is so patient) and called it a day.
I had no idea how sore I would be. My calves KILLED me from the ski boots. Holy cow. Talk about a workout. Anyway, we stopped on the way home to get a f'real. Tim and Chris were all about the f'reals. It's basically a milkshake that is made in the gas station with some special machine that has really creepy graphics. It was pretty good if I must say so myself.
| Scenery on the way to Red Lodge |
| The lodge. You can tell how warm it was just by looking at the picture. |
| Tim and Chris |
| Don't look so enthused Kyle. |
| I survived my first day! |
| The wonder that is a f'real |
We got some good 'ole steaks that night at this yummy steakhouse. I'm pretty sure Brett was in heaven. There's nothing quite like a Montana steak. If you go to Montana, getting a steak is a must. So fresh.
The next day, we got up early again and drove to Big Sky Resort, which was a mere three hours away. Seriously different kind of travel up there than on the East Coast. We stopped in Bozeman on the way there. Brett was determined to call someone a Bozeite (those of you who watch Big Bang Theory will appreciate that).
Driving up to the mountain, you could see... the Lone Peak (elevation 11,166 feet). Kyle was eying that thing like there was no tomorrow. He kept on saying he was going to do it. It's a double black diamond trail that is pretty much straight down. I wish you could see his face. We were trying to talk him out of it but he seemed pretty determined. While we were driving up there, we saw a black dot (skier) traveling down the peak. It looked terrifying.
Big Sky Resort was more of a destination ski mountain than a local ski mountain like Red Lodge. The ski boots were significantly more comfortable and lighter at Big Sky. I did one run down a green trail then called it a day and sat in the lodge. I have to say, skiing may not be my thing. I'm not a risk-taker and have bad knees. Brett says the greens in Montana would be blues in Boone. I'm hoping he's correct. I'd like to try it again.
Brett, Kyle, and Chris spent the afternoon out on the slopes. Kyle and Chris ended up going up to the bowl, at the base of the Peak. That was as close as Kyle got to the Peak. He did snowboard a black diamond though. Brett was like a little kid. He was having so much fun. I loved seeing three of the men in my family having such a great time together.
On the way home, we stopped by Montana State University's football stadium. MSU is one of the premier Division 1AA schools in the country. Brett enjoyed seeing it.
| Kyle still eying the peak. |
| No pictures do it justice |
| Chris in front of the village |
| I did it! Brett was so supportive and patient through my frustrations. |
| My view from inside the lodge. I enjoyed this :) |
| Yep, that's my brother |
| Kyle with his foe in the background. |
| Checking out MSU's stadium |
Kyle flew out the next day (Tuesday). Brett, Chris, I had a down day of relaxing and watching basketball. Brett and I were also anxiously awaiting the arrival of Laney, Will and Laura's baby (our first niece). Future post on sweet Laney.
Chris took us to the airport at 6 a.m. on Wednesday. We had an uneventful trip back to Charlotte, aside from a very bumpy landing.
I so enjoyed getting to spend some time with Chris, Kyle, and Brett. It was neat to see my husband get to experience something he's never done (skiing in Montana), especially alongside my brother and cousin. Nothing warms my heart more than seeing Brett get along with my family.
Thanks to all you who survived the long post. It's been a month coming. More updates to follow soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment